Sunday, April 26, 2015

A friend and I are planning a weekend sewing retreat where participants would pay and we would offer lodging, food, and space to sew. We're ...

Question

A friend and I are planning a weekend sewing retreat where participants would pay and we would offer lodging, food, and space to sew. We're renting a large house for the weekend. Should we get liability insurance for the weekend in case anyone gets hurt somehow?

We were also planning on serving alcohol during the opening cocktail reception but I wonder if it would be easier to have a caterer serve rather than us.

And I assume we should have all participants sign a waiver of liability but I'm not sure where I could even get such a document. It definitely sounds to me like I need to speak to a lawyer but I don't even know what kind of law this falls into.



Answer

I am not sunre how a person get hurt doing sewing but i would consider getting insurance if you can find someone that would write a sepcific policy for that...

As far as the liability for alchol it would make for less risk but probably not absolve you completely. They would be familiar with the laws, help get any necessary permits, etc if any are needed, and anything else since this is not just a group on people getting together for a party..

Waiver for this type of event should be fairly straightforward... Your biggest liability maybe the large house you are renting out because you might have liability for injuries due to defects...you are going to have to inspect the property ... Under certain provision of the California Code you may meet the standards as an innkeeper or the like and you have the issues to deal with as far as property safekeeping, injuries, fire supression/detectors,... Without further facts I wonder if ADA does not apply as well. If it were me I think I would use a commercial lodging establishment and it would make your life easier... If there is damage to the house you would be responsible for the damage... You may be assuming by renting it and then holding the event that you have a higher standard of care when it comes to defects (including notice)



No comments:

Post a Comment