Friday, April 24, 2015

My husband was hospitalized in the state of NC and we live in the state of V A and left a bill of nearly $400,000 due to the hospital. The ...

Question

My husband was hospitalized in the state of NC and we live in the state of V A; and left a bill of nearly $400,000 due to the hospital. The insurance will cover some of the cost. Recently, I received a bill addressed to me his widow. My name was taken from his death certificate and placed on his bill without authorization. Is this legal?



Answer

Yes, of course, the creditor can put your name on your deceased husband's bill,

but that doesn't mean that you necessarily owe or can be held legally

responsible for it.

Your first response to receiving such a bill should be that your husband is now deceased and that they should refer the matter to the executor or administrator who is handling his estate.



No comments:

Post a Comment